Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What they will remember me for . . .


Sometimes I have that moment of motherhood where I think, "what will my kids remember me for?"  For example, I remember my mom for being fun and dedicated but also ruling with an iron fist.  I didn't cross her, partly out of respect and partly because I was scared of her.  She ruled our lives with firm dictatorship, but she was playful and let us get dirty, too.  

My kids . . . what will they remember me for?  I'm not sure, but I hope it's not, "Mommy was always at her computer."  "Mom was always working."  or "Mom was a bitch."   I think they'll remember me for being spontaneous, and being a "yes-mom" . . . meaning I don't generally say, "no" as a knee-jerk reaction.  When I say 'no', there's a reason and I don't deviate.  My kids will remember me for being funny.  I play with them a lot.  We laugh all the time.  They will remember me reading books in Russian accents and filling in lines in British accents, my best Valley-girl voice or making up words to songs in the kitchen.  (My most recent is to a Pink song that makes even me die laughing!"  

I'm nearly sure my kids will remember me taking them outside and letting them get dirty, climb rocks, scramble up things, fall, get skinned and learn to heal.  I hope my kids will remember me for being creative and playing games with them.  Making up games is one of my greatest talents and we play all kinds of games, nearly every day.  This is the one that is most popular right now . . . . skeet shooting with Nerf vortex guns.  My job is to be the sling shot shooter of a wad of paper, on command of the shooter, who yells "pull".  On my fire, they try to ping the paper wad with a vortex bullet.  The ones not shooting fetch the bullets off of the hill.  It's so stinkin' fun and we have played it until my arms ache from shooting skeet paper balls.   I don't love this picture of me, but I bet it's one that the kids will come to treasure . . . . 

I do LOVE the picture of Mimi, in her mismatched clothes, ragged I've-been-playing-all-day tangled locks and her mean-as-stink face . . . . Love it! 


1 comment:

Homestead said...

I like it. You look very Charlie's Angels....