Monday, December 24, 2012

Busy, busy, busy

I've been far too busy, busy, busy for personal and extracurricular activities like blogging.  Oh, sad, sad me.  My days go by and I think, "I should blog that", but by the time night falls and the children and snuggled all warm in their beds, I simply don't have the uumph to carry on, knowing it starts over in only a few short hours.

At any rate, today, I'm at the keyboard with a post window open and I have random revelations in list form to share with all of blogger-dom.

1.  The "W" on my keyboard is sticking and boy is that ever pissing me off.
2.  The kids are all out for winter break.  Duh.  Obviously.  It's Christmas Eve.  The big kids finished last Thursday and Mimi had her final day on Friday.  Their report cards are fabulous; they are ready for break and I'm ready for a couple weeks of slow & easy mornings.
3.  Meal planning.  I've been sucking the big genitalia in the sky on meal planning.  I've been throwing things together last minute or making a half-baked effort to put all the food groups in front of the angry butterflies.  On some nights, I fail miserably.
4.  Homestead visited.  We had a couple of glorious days of chatting and reminiscing.  It was lovely.  We stayed up until midnight one night talking.  Just talking.  I felt hungover the next day.  Gawd.  I'm getting old.  We didn't even drink anything fun or fruity.  MOTH was wonderful and didn't freak out or make odd comments when he came to bed and we were both in our bed, talking like college girls.  All that was missing was the crackers.  We ate crackers in college.  What a weird memory.
5.  Christmas.  And birthdays.  We've been on a notable spending freeze since 3rd quarter this year.  Well, a spending scale-back.  It shows under the tree, for sure.  We're at that critical junction with gift giving and Christmas where the kids really do want gift cards.  They really, truly WANT for nothing, so it's been difficult to fill the bill this year.  I have few gifts.  But the gifts that are there are quality, personal and meaningful.  I'm really kind of proud of that.
6.  Gifts.  I love giving gifts.  I really do.  I made 28 scarves this season and gave them away to friends, teachers and the like.  They were handmade.  Thoughtful.  I didn't give a pink scarf to a person who only wears black.  I had the recipient in mind.  I'm proud of that, and proud of keeping to the budget.  Also, proud of the mini-scarf business that sold over half of them.  That bankrolled the other portion of gift giving.  Yea, me. I was going somewhere with that.  Oh, yea.  Thoughtfulness.  I'm very into and appreciative of a well-thought-out gift.  For example, I'm an anti-clutter nut.  I don't really do knick-knacks.  They drive me insane, so when I get a gift and it's some piece of displayable, must-dust STUFF, it's not well-thought-out for me.  My pet peeve:  receiving gifts from people who don't really have me in mind.  I'd rather not get anything.  My goal:  not to do this to others.  There were four people on my list this year who fell into the "I-probably-should-get -them-something" category.  I didn't get them anything.  It's me.   I guess folks will learn that when I give you a gift, I mean it.  I mean that I'm thinking of you and I wish you the best; not:  "here-have-this-dollar-store-piece-of-crap-in-a-fancy-wrapper-because-I-felt-like-I-had-to-give-you-something."  Quality, not quantity.  Quality, not quantity.
7.  Work.  I've been working like a dog lately.  But wait.  I'm not complaining.  Now, more than ever before, I'm so thankful for the job that I've created with this company.  I am so, very thankful that I have a job, that it pays well and that it affords me the flexibility to manage the other things in my life.  Still, fact remains, lately, I've been working like a dog.  And there will be more where that came from in the first quarter of next year.  I've already braced my family and myself.  It's gonna be some long hours.

Wow, I actually feel a bit more organized and ready to tackle the day.

It's Little's birthday eve today.  We're having lunch with my mom.  We are baking cookies.  And I need to run to Costco to pick up pictures for a last minute grand-idea-gift.  The list is growing!

Merry Christmas Eve, all!

No comments: