Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Well, I feel better now . . . .

Well, I feel better now and here is why.

You all know I'm a Jillian Michael's fan.  Always have been.  I like her method and I like just about everything about her.  EXCEPT for a few things . . . . (1) I don't find some of her words inspirational, so I just mute her and (2) I've been telling the TV for many, many years now . . . "Jillian, you don't understand.  When you are a MOTHER, you can't put yourself first.  It's not possible.  There are little people who have changed the very essence of who you are, and doing things WITH them or FOR them trumps everything else you have going on . . . and . . . in many, many, many cases, that means your daily dose of workout sanity.  It just does."

Let me clarify.  I'm not looking for an excuse.  For about, oh, I'd say a decade, I've been a pretty serious calorie counter.  I watch my weight.  I am really active.  Much, much more active than the average mom, I would bet.  Still, medical issues (some of you know about my never ending back pain saga, epidural injections, surgery, recovery, relapse) along with keeping all the plates at home spinning is not an excuse to order a cheeseburger, it's a fact of life.  It's the hand I've been dealt and I'm dealing with it.  Every day.  It will most likely prevent me from every having a Jillian Michaels physique . . . but I'm not making excuses and I'm not blaming.  I'm just SAYING that there are SOME people for which this sort of thinspiration really doesn't work.

I know I'm right.  Because I have mommy friends.  Lots of them.  I see what happens.  It happened to me.  Four times.  You see your ass get a little wider and your boobs head south to see what's going on in your tennie shoes.  It gets harder to bend over and harder still to get back up.  My arms lost their cut and my tummy is soft, but I can't blame the kids, and I can't blame the hand I was dealt . . . it just IS.  

It IS what it IS.

So . . . . .

In the June 4th  issue of People magazine,  (Yes, I'm behind.  And, yes, I do think People is partially the gospel truth.) there is a beautifully written piece on Jillian Michael, her partner, Heidi, and their two kids.  Both new kids, or at least new to the family.  Anyway, at the end of the article, and I quote . . .

"I have yet to figure out how to take care of myself right now,"  says Michaels, who would also like to apologize to ALL the parents she coached on Loser.  "Telling moms, 'You need to put yourself first?" she says, rolling her eyes.  "It's impossible to put yourself first when you are a mom."

As I read these words, I must have let out the most triumphant whoop.  My kids ran outside to see what was the matter.  MOTH thought I broke my toe again.  Nope.  Better.  I'm nodding my head in silent satisfaction.  Thanks, Jillian, for being enough of a woman and mother to admit when you have been wrong and misjudged . . . . we mommies appreciate that more than you know.


1 comment:

Disney Redhead said...

I never thought of her saying to put yourself "first" meant in all aspects of life or anything. Children always come first. But all parents need to find a moment or two alone. Now, for single parents I can see how this would be nearly, if not completely, impossible. But I'm really hoping when God finally gives us a child, my husband and I are able to give each other some alone time when needed. Even if it's just a 10 minute bubble bath or walk on the treadmill or whatever. I have tons of friends and family members who have children and they all seem to manage just fine with that strategy so that's what we plan to try in the future. I, however, don't see myself using "free" time to exercise though...haha. But my SIL, for example, did and she lost a lot of weight and toned up and looked great. And this was with a 1 and 2 year old at home. Of course, my brother was the one who really made it possible by allowing her that time to do what she needed to do to get healthy. I don't think that finding time to exercise meant she wasn't putting her kids first. Her children always come first.