Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fire . . .

. . . . after all of today is ZERO percent contained and estimated at 2500 ++ acres.  A more accurate estimate will come tonight when an infra-red flight is done.  1,800 homes have been evacuated and 3,000 people. I've been listening or watching on and off all day today.  I'm struck by the image of those homes right at the top of the ridge.  I'm SO afraid that I'll be watching the TV and see flames suck those houses up and all of it will go  up in smoke.  Also, I'm so afraid that I WON'T be watching and won't see those houses go up in smoke.  It's kind-of like on-going coverage from September 11th or the Columbine shootings.  I can't watch it . . . and I can't stop watching it.

Today, we could see flames in new hot areas from Little's bedroom window.   One of the spokespeople said that flame lengths today (I learned a new word) are over 100 feet.  I don't care if you are a flame or a tree or a jumping bug . . . . 100 feet is stinkin' tall.

Tonight:



The weather today was terrible.  Dreadful . . . it was 100 degrees today and our weather-station said 16% humidity.  The perfect storm for a wildfire to rage out of control, right?   The really grim news is this week's forecast.  Yikes.  I think we are looking at a week of fire.  The air smells horrid and there is ash falling from the sky like snow.  You can see where cars have driven on the roadways and the whole city smells like a giant weenie roast.  My eyes are killing me, I have a smoke headache and Little is starting to wheeze.  Crap.  Poor air quality plus asthma . . . . bring on the inhalers.  Bummer.


1 comment:

Homestead said...

flame lengths, sit report, tie in, pulaski (sp?), fuszee, incident command (ic), fire triangle, helislack, crowning and hose lay......