Friday, June 29, 2012

Daily Fire Report

18,500 acres gone
346 homes lost
1 person dead
1 person missing
1,200 firefighters working
15% contained

The whole community's head is hanging at the amount of loss.  I'm really stricken by how fickle fire is . . . . look at this aerial map.  I can't believe how some structures are totally gone and the next door neighbor's home is standing strong.  It's amazing.  And heartbreaking.  And devastating.   What I'm equally amazed by is that, given what I SAW, and heard . . . that there is ANYTHING standing up there at all.  I can't believe it's not totally leveled.  346 homes is a lot.  A LOT.  But, in all honestly, after what happened on Tuesday, I was totally expecting that number to be upwards of 1,000.

The news says this is the most devastating fire in Colorado's history.  I believe it.  Tuesday night is the single most frightening event I have lived through.  It was terrifying.  The President is visiting today.


1 comment:

Heather said...

I've been following this story on the radio during my morning commute every day... and I won't lie, I think of you every time.

I can't imagine what it's like for those living this nightmare. I can't even begin to fathom what it must be like to have to leave your home behind.

Please stay safe.