Monday, May 28, 2012

They'll be beggin' for more . . .

I made these and my kids LOVED them.  They are pretty stinkin' healthy little creation & they were super tasty.  I put a bunch of notes in, too, because, as usual, I made some adjustments.  So, the original recipe is noted & my notes are in parenthesis . . .

Granola Bars

1 cup coconut oil (yea, this comes in a 14 oz jar so I doubled just about everything from here forward & used the whole jar so I didn't have to measure and didn't have half a jar of gooey oil in the cabinet . . . so the original recipe calls for 1 cup . . . I used just short of 2 cups for a doubled recipe)

3/4 cup sucanat (yea, I subbed 1/2 cup for original recipe or full cup for my version of organic sugar)

1 tablespoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 medium eggs, at room temp

Beat the above stuff together until smooth & fluffy . .  .

Combine . . . .

1 1/2 cups of flour with 1/2 cup of ground flax seed


Add that combination to the fluffy stuff from above & blend well . . . .

Stir in 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats . . . .

Add . . .

1 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of walnuts (I used pecans because walnuts make my tongue itch)
2 cups of chocolate chips (I used 1 cup)

The original recipe says to let this sit for 30 minutes & then make cookies from the dough -- dropping by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until the edges begin to brown . . .

Well, I'm not much of a recipe follower . . . so I did not let this set  . . . I pressed in into a baking dish/bar pan and baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes (I think).   They were brown around the edges and sprung back to the touch . . . .

Cool . . .

Cut into bars . . .

Voila . . . super heathy granola bar alternative that my kids LOVED.  I had LOTS of dough on this so I also make bites in a mini muffin pan .  . also a huge hit :)



No comments: