Thursday, May 17, 2012

Marinated Grilled Flank Steak

Here's that recipe I promised about a gazillion years ago . . . .
See, I'm cleaning my desk off and have the book sitting right here.  I want to put it back today, but need to do this first.

From Colorado Cache Cookbook, page 151 . . .

* special note:  I jack with this recipe ALL the time.  It says lemon, I use lime.  I've used lemons, limes, clementines, grapefruit & pummelo for the citrus portion of this recipe.  I've also used onion, garlic, shallots for that part.  I've subbed the dry red wine for leftover plain old wine, cooking wine, part of a beer and cooking sherry.   The bottom line is that this recipe is fail-safe.  It ALWAYS works and produces the best flank steak EVER.   Also, I buy flank steak in twin packs @ Costco.  I generally do them at the same time, in ziploc bags,  and put one in the freezer, with the marinate.  Marinated the other at least overnight . . .

Serves 3-4

juice of 1 lemon (chuckle, chuckle)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup (or more) of dry red wine
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 large clove of garlic; sliced
pepper to taste
chopped green onion, or chives (optional)
chopped dill weed (optional)
celery seed (optional)
1-1 1/2 pound flank steak, trimmed

Mix all ingredients in the pan in which meat is to be marinated.  Marinate flank steak, turning occasionally for 2 to 12 hours.  Or, in my house, squish the baggie really well.  And I've left it in marinate for 2 days.  Broil meat over hot coals for 5-7 minutes per side.  Five minutes is RARE, especially if the cut is thick.  Slice meat on the diagonal across the grain & serve.  Enjoy.

No comments: