Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lanterns

I've been hunting for lanterns.  I'm not sure what my obsession is with lanterns, but it goes way back.  And, despite my window shopping for lanterns, I've never actually purchased or owned one.

Until . . . . .

Pinterest.  I love lanterns in the backyard in summer.  Love, love, love.  But, I don't love real candles in them, because we are rough outside and I don't want to lose my yard & house to fire.  The wind can be tricky here too, so no real fire.  I wanted solar.  And I wanted cute.  And I wanted hanging.  So, I morphed a bunch of Pinterest ideas and made these guys . . .

Materials:

Mason Jars
Solar yard stakes
Glue gun
Fish tank rocks
Medium gauge wire

I bought one bag of white fish tank gravel.  You put a handful into the bottom of the clean jar.  One bag, incidentally, made 9 lanterns.  I'm sure I could have stretched it to 10 or 12 . .  I just had 9 jars, so I made that work. 

Cheap-O solar yard stake.  On sale now at your local King Soopers. 

Be-headed solar yard stake.  These just twist right off. 

Run a bead of hot glue around the rim of the jar . . . 

. . . and add the solar light head.  Voila. 

My jars are a mish-mash.  I like them that way.  I also took one apart, so these are not permanent, in case you are commitment phoebic.  You can disassemble them really easily!   I don't have one with the wire, but in a nutshell, I ran a loop of wire around the lip, twisted it in the back while leaving a length on each side, then I pulled it snug and twisted to make a loop on each side.  With a second length of wire, I fashioned a handle and twisted that to the loop.
I love them.  They are beautiful at night and the lights stay on through the night.  I was up at 5:20 this morning and they were still on . . . .

2 comments:

Carl said...

Beautiful lanterns. That was a very creative idea. Your pictures inspired me!

Winter said...

It's so funny...I saw this on pinterest and I thought..hey...Elle was looking for lanterns...lol They look awesome :-)