Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Blogger Challenge - Day 6

Yea, I'm a little behind.  I'll do day 6 at the same time I update everything else.  Pictures coming for:

1.  Crossroads.  Wow.  THE single largest athletic event for young ones I have EVER been to.  I've been to sporting events.  Lots of them. State everything . . . but this was something else.  Wow.  They ran 80 volleyball courts, all day long, from 8 am until 8 pm, in three overlapping waves, for three consecutive days.  And that was just the first weekend.  I've been to major events where 20 guys played and there were 40,000 fans.  But, I've NEVER been to an event where there were 12 parents for each team on the sideline and 160 teams of 15, all in the same building at the same time.  It was nuts.

2.  Most folks live in a house.  We are currently living in a freakin' petri dish.  Ewww.  Another one home sick today with pink eye.  Both eyes.  Sheesh.  I just can't catch a break.

And now, Blogger Challenge . . . . I almost want to defer this one to another day to think about it, but I'm behind already, so I'm pushing forward.

Day 6:  Five things that the younger generation is missing.  What will you do to teach them and bridge the gap? 

My first thought, of course . . . am I the younger generation (ha!) or is that my kids?   My gut tells me to write about the kids, because I have more things I'm committed to teaching them.  So . . .

The younger generation, on the whole, is missing (1) respect.  They (2) fail to make eye contact.  In the age of texting, they (3) don't know how to speak to each other and seldom carry on a "real" conversation.  They are (4) too eager to seek help and can't problem solve or trouble shoot on their own.  (5) A few old traditions are out the window.

Respect is big in my house.  My pet peeve is tone of voice.  I can say just about anything I want to, as long as my tone is nice.  I could probably tell MOTH to "eat shit" as long as I said it with a smile.  That might have been severe, but the point is, I can NOT handle a snotty kid, especially a tween-age girl . . there's my pet peeve.  Eye rolling?  No thanks.  Big wore a blindfold for a full day to break that habit.  I'm into respectfully disagreeing.  Speak your mind but be nice about it.

I'm thinking eye contact, or lack thereof, and failure to communicate lie in the age of digital communications.  In our house, I push everyone to unplug at dinner time.  No screens at the table.  No texting.  No phone calls.  No TV.  No, no, no.  Just talk.  Talk about stickers or bathtubs or places you might want to go.  We do "bee-dubs" every night at the dinner table.  B is for Best.  Dub is for W -- worst.  We share the best and worst part of our day.  Every night.   For kids, they are unplugged except for nighttime music,  which is delivered by iPod,  and reading-on-your-kindle time from dinner until bedtime.  There are no video games in bed.  No iPod games, no iTouch apps, no Angry Birds, no DS time, no computers.   The kids watch TV on the weekends  . . . it amounts to about 4-6 hours per week, on the high side.  Unless, (yes, of course there is an exception) . . . unless someone is sick.  Then, all the rules are out the window and they can watch a marathon of Dirty Jobs all day long.  Not Nickelodeon BS brainless stuff, but they can watch NatGeo until the cows come home.  

Did I cover it?  Respect.  Check.  I'm sure I can come up with more.  Maybe I'll revise.  Eye contact.  Check.  Conversation.  Check.  Oh, has SIRI made it so easy to just ask your cell phone.  I love it, but I HATE it for my kids.  I wish SIRI knew where I moved the snack bags.  Still, I think my kids know the "stink eye" when they say something like (Hey, Middle just walked in here and said, "Mom, do you know where my kindle charger is . .  (insert stink eye) . . . uh, never mind . .  I'll look for it a little longer. . . ")  Yeah.  I should tweet my victory!   Think, younger generation.  Bang your two brain cells together and think . . . . hmmm.  Painful, but so necessary!

Old traditions  . .

I'd like my kids to know how to give a gift.  More than giving, I'd like for them to know how to give . . . from the heart and because you mean it and it's right for you . . not because you "should".  I'd like them to know how to accept a compliment.   I'd like for them to know how to write a thank you note.  And how to say they are sorry.  I'd like for them to listen to their true inner voice and trust their whisper.  I'd like for them to lead by example and live like leaders.  I'm not sure they younger generation is missing that, but it's a personal aspiration for MY offspring.

1 comment:

Winter said...

this one stumped me. I have 5 things..but besides how I try and raise my own kids I don't have the "how I will work to change it" scenarios...ug. have been insanely busy as well...not as busy as you, but I'm no where near as organized either ;)