Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Pop . . .

In the most loving, warm, wonderful memory EVER . . . . 

My dad, "Pop" 

Born February 25, 1919 in Portland, Oregon
Died January 20, 2012 in Colorado Springs, Colorado 




He used to say things like all that glitters is not gold, and you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  Money doesn’t grow on trees.  Never trust a man a dog doesn’t like.  Early bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.  Beggars can’t be choosers.  Where there’s a will, there’s a way.  A closed mouth catches no flies.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  The squeaky wheel gets the oil.  An apple a day keeps the doctors away.  Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.  A leopard cannot change its spots.  The early bird gets the worm.  Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.  A watched pot never boils.  Good things come to those who wait.  Never trust a skinny cook.  A rolling stone gathers no moss.  Waste not, want not.  Cloudy mornings give way to clear evenings.  Two heads are better than one.  Make hay while the sun shines.  Into every life, a little rain must fall.  Finders keepers, losers weepers.  It goes without saying, he was a good man.




7 comments:

Christal said...

What a beautiful post. It made me cry and think of my dad. I'm so sorry for your loss. Even when we feel it coming it is so very hard to accept.

Heather said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Elle. From everything you have said, he was truly a great man. You and your family will be in my thoughts...

Cinnamon said...

I think of my Dad all the time it has been 10 years and I still feel him and see him in my sons. My thoughts are with you during this tough time..he will live in your heart forever :)
Cin

CB in CO said...

So sorry to hear about your Dad.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Please let us know if we can do anything.

C

Winter said...

What a beautiful picture! I'm so glad you have such fabulous memories of your father to hold onto and keep you going. I know it may make it harder to say goodbye in some ways, but those good memories, those wise words you hear in your head in his voice...those things are lasting and will carry you long after the grief has faded. I am sorry for your loss and the sadness your family, the children have to endure for a time. May God bless you all with comfort.

M&Co. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

cushieschair said...

My mum brought me up on those wise sayings. It has made me a slightly better for than I might have been. You sound like a really down to earth and caring girl. Thanks for the good read. Sorry about your Pop.