Sunday, December 18, 2011

Home again, home again, jiggity jig . . .

Well, it was fast.  We took a ski weekend.  We wedged it between other essential activities, but managed to get one in.  The original plan was to leave Friday at noon and have a nice, slow, easy arrival.  Scratch that. We had a volleyball game at 5:30 and couldn't take off until 7:30.  Ish.  PM.   But, the girls won their first game . . . played their first game EVER on "the winner's court" and showed more enthusiasm than EVER before. It was epic.

Departing at 8 is late.  Less than ideal.  However, in the name of getting away, breathing fresh, cool mountain air and taking a couple of days to re-group and re-connect, we opted to press the "yes" button.   We arrived late.  Our reservation was wrong.  We toted sleeping kids and an overflowing luggage cart around the hotel waiting for a room change to happen.  We had to wait for extra linens.  The housekeeping staff must have been drunk when they did our room.  There were dirty linens on the pull out and it was full of peanuts and sunflower seeds.  The toilet was slow to work.   I was too tired to put of much of a bitch, especially given the grief the front desk crew was catching from some Texan who wanted a better view.  Seriously.  It was almost friggin' midnight. I'm not sure what he wanted to look at.  I complained sweetly enough to get the room difference comp'ed, sled rentals and the "yes ma'am" treatment for the rest of the stay.  I'm okay with that.  We fell into bed exhausted.  The girls opted not to ski the next day.  The boys couldn't keep themselves off the mountain.   Girls went sledding while the boys skied.

Big had a nasty run in with a pole.  She plowed through the safety fence.  Thank goodness that she's a 12 year old girl with enough weight behind her to snap the plastic pole into bits.  Had Mimi been the one to run headlong into that pole, I'm pretty sure our day would have ended there and been topped off with stitches and or prescription mediation.  Thank God for small favors.





We played at  a playground.  For a long time.  So long that we started getting hypoglycemic and grumpy.  I am, indeed, the tether ball champion of the world.  And I give a great spinny-twisty tire swing ride.

We ate out.  I love not cooking.   We did a little bit of shopping.  I found this awesome shop where the owner does custom metal work jewelry.  I love it because my kids' names are spelled funny.  She made me custom pendants for each kid for the low, low, rock bottom price of only $5.  I couldn't believe it.  I love them.  So much, in fact, that I ordered a few for my niece, girlfriend gifts for Big and a few random other things.  Love them. Cute owl jewelry, Winter.  I thought of you.

Sunday we met friends on the mountain.  Well, some of us did.  Middle, Little and MOTH skied.  Big had a sore throat, so she stayed home to take a bath in the jetted tub.  Mimi and I played eighty-nine rounds of parcheesi and made pancakes.  Good times.   It was good skiing and perfect weather, which almost makes up for the lack of snow.  Snow conditions are . . . . as I overheard a tourist say, "like really good conditions in Pennsylvania."  For Colorado, that's crap . . but, says me, there's no such thing as a bad day in the mountains . . . .

Now we're home.  We're bracing for the week ahead, singing 'happy birthday eve' to Middle, putting her new desk together, wrapping gifts for the volleyball party tomorrow night, and planning a visit to go see my dad, who is sick right now.  He was admitted to the hospital last night, so prayers are much appreciated . . . . .

I see a new Blogger Challenge out there on a couple of blogs I follow.  I'm in.  I love those, but will start later.  For now, Cheerio . . . .

1 comment:

Homestead said...

What kind of helmets do you have and do you like them and do you have any shopping recommendations? I need one. And then the kids will need them if they want to ski.