Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 17th

Thankful . . .

Thankful for Thursdays.  This year, Thursdays in our house are the "mommy day."  Every night at bedtime, Mimi says, "Do I have school tomorrow?  Do I have 'nastics tomorrow?"  On Wednesday nights, I love to say, "Nope, no school . . . no 'nastics . . . tomorrow's a MOMMY DAY!"  She always throws her hands in the air and then pulls that left elbow in while she says, "YES! I love mommy day."

It melts me.  Her genuine reaction to getting to spend one-on-one time with me is awesome.  It's a powerful thing to be loved like that, and it makes me want to love her and squeeze and take her home and call her George, to steal a phrase.   We don't always do anything exciting, but we do everything together.  Today, we went to Bed, Bath & Beyond.  We smelled candles.  We looked at stuff.  We touched pillows and compared their loft and softness.  We looked at the Christmas decorations.  We pushed buttons on blenders.  We went to lunch.  She ordered fries and she smiled a grin as wide as the sky when I wrote her name on her plate in ketchup (or check-up, as she calls it).  We went Christmas shopping at a little boutique named Gatherings.  It's like a home-interior-slash-home-made shop.  I went on the hunt for cool stocking stuffers for Big and Middle.  I ended up with an awesome few  . . . and the happiest customer of the day.  Mimi loves jingle bells.  Loves.  Jingle.  Bells.  She found a whole bin of those aged, tea-dipped, bells.  A whole section was the itty-teeniest little jingle bells I've ever seen.  She fell in love with them.  So I let her pick out ten.  I gave her fifty-cents and let her pay by herself.  The lady was so nice & gave her a receipt and her own itty-tiny fabric bag for her jingle bells.  Not the biggest purchase of the day at Gatherings, but certainly the happiest customer.  It was adorable.

We came home & wrapped presents.  And played with stickers.  And sorted socks.  We picked up dog poop and rounded up trash.  Nothing exciting, but time together.  Just time together.

So . . . . I'm super thankful today for a beautiful day with my tiny little perfect piece of three-year old.  She truly, absolutely, for-sure is the peanut butter to my jelly.

2 comments:

Heather said...

So sweet! You're an awesome mommy.

Winter said...

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous day! Yay for mommy day! :)