Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What's wrong with this?

I'm probably mostly responsible for my back hurting yesterday and today.   In order to keep our money-out where I needed it for the wall and fireplace, a fair amount of demolition and "stuff" was done be me.  And MOTH.  Sunday's overcast skies provided the perfect opportunity to rip sod.  The goal was to obtain the basic shape, pulled directly from my "vision".  This week, pebble, road base and chocolate flagstone will go into this space.    Here's the status.



Bad news.  I don't love it.  I'm not sure why.  The shape is wrong, but I can't figure out WHAT'S wrong with it.  I don't like the funnel-shape.  It looks like a wine glass.  I think it needs a more angled entry.  And maybe a wider mouth at the wall-side.  But increasing that size equals increasing materials needed.  Increasing materials means increasing price.  Crud.

So tell me, what's wrong with this?

PS.  Is my dog in the way or what?? I think Great Danes are bred to be in the way . . .

2 comments:

Disney Redhead said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But I tend to flute out the edges more. (Not sure if that's the right term or not.) Ignore my terrible job with the paint program on my computer....haha. But this is probably more along the lines of what I would do.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss25/DLmrsbee/Blog/backyardfire.jpg

Homestead said...

I think the edges are straight and funnelly. It might need to be more the same width and gently S-shaped. Get out some garden hoses and lay them out to get a visual of what looks better to you. And don't forget to photograph it.