Tuesday, May 10, 2011

We hired a sitter and . . .

. . . went to Parent Orientation for Middle School.     Most times, when we hire a sitter it's for something equally exciting.  The story stays the same.  I hired my favorite sitter.   And pizza.  She arrived.  Played with Middle, Little and Mimi.  MOTH dropped Big off after volleyball practice with favorite-sitter and met me at Middle School Orientation.  



Random things.  I have lots of random and unconnected thoughts about middle school.

First . . . we met in a cafetorium.  Say  that.  Genius, right.   Our elementary school doesn't have a cateteria.  Or an auditorium.  The gym is a triple dip space.  It's a gym . .  with lunch tables that come out of the wall like murphy beds.  And it has a stage along one wall.  Triple dipper.  The middle school where Big will go in the fall has a true gymnasium.  With banners and bleachers and the whole nine yards.  Even a score board.  Boy, are we moving up in the world.  It has a cafetorium, through.  Auditorium married with cafeteria.  It's nothing if not a functional space.  Plus, what a fun word to say.  Go ahead.  Say it.  Out loud.

Second . . .    just a large "wow."  For me, walking in to this middle school feels like walking into a high school.  It feels like a small airport.  Maybe it's the handicapped ramps and the rails.  The remind me of luggage ramps or those thingies that attach to an airplane so you can walk through the tunnel and get off . . . what's that called?  Is that a jetway or a gateway?    Remember, I'm a small town hillbilly whose graduating class was a whopping 124.  For my oldest kiddo to be entering a school where just the sixth grade enrollment is . . . .

Third . . . . 335 kids.  And the total school enrollment is . . .

Fourth . . . 985.  Um, "wow" is all I can really muster.

Fifth . . .  There were lots of parents there.  Watching adults interact is an interesting social dynamic for me.   When the well-kept dad in the front row raised his hand like a rocket and asked about placement into double advanced math, you could practically feel the flutter from collective eyelashes as eyes rolled skyward.   Geez, louise.  I'm still the quiet kid that sits at the back of the class.  I didn't have any questions.

Sixth . . . . Big must have heard stories about lockers, so she and I are both relieved that the sixth grade lockers are NOT wide enough to be locked inside.

Seventh . . . Sixth graders get their own "wing" of the school.  It's a transition year, even by the physical boundaries within the school.

Eight . . . seven periods, four core classes, two electives and a 1st period building wide literacy block.

Ninth . . . walking distance.  Middle school is actually closer to our house than elementary school.

Last . . . 8:30 to 3:40.  Thirty minutes later than my elementary kids start and 50 minutes later than my elementary kids end.  Her drop-off overlaps Mimi's, but there's flexibility in Mimi's schedule.  That staggering is nice when you are picking up or collecting kids from multiple buildings.  Someone was thinking, and I'd like to thank them.

No comments: