Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wall plus . . .


It was too dark to monkey around with contractor progress by the time we got home from parent orientation last night.  I went out with contractor Steve to talk about a couple of basic deviations from original plan.  He made an executive decision while I was being oriented on how to keep your kid safe in middle school.   Photo above.  It's beginning to take shape.  The firebox will be in the center and it's flanked on both sides by wood storage boxes.  The whole thing will be topped with the chimney gizmo, which will begin to take shape tonight.  We're an "after 5 project"  . . which loosely translated, means that the three guys who are actually building this thing have real jobs.  Our action happens "after 5", when they are done with their primary jobs.   Um, it has grown.  The original plan was a seven foot opening.  This is ten.  It will end up being taller than my original plan, too, because I didn't account for the new (but necessary) height of the retaining wall OR the increased height of the footer.  Hmm.  As of right now, the fire box isn't at chest level and I don't think I'll need protective eye wear or a booster seat to roast a marshmallow, so I'm rollin' with it.  Stucco and stone will help soften the look, I think, and the firebrick.   Well, and getting rid of the pile of rubble in front.  Oh, and picture the mantle and the hearth.  Chocolate flagstone.   We're making tons of progress . . .

1 comment:

Homestead said...

I have some very important questions:

1. What zone are you? Can you grow rosemary outdoors year-round there?
2. Is this going to be a fireplace thing that you can toss a grill rack in and cook something?