Thursday, May 26, 2011

Green Things

I love these green things . . .



Rhubarb .  .  . among my favorite things.  Not to eat.  To look at.  I have a bed full of just rhubarb and I love how it looks, before hail punches holes in all of the leaves.  I especially love the look of these leaves when they are uncurling in early spring.  It's faithful.  

Sedum . . . Ah, one of my favorite obsessions.  I have about 7 varieties living in my yard.  This is certainly one of my favorites . . . . I could have waited until one of them blooms, but I actually prefer the look of them now and before they bloom. 

Groundcover.  My deepest obsession.  I love this stuff.  Invasive, hardy, drought tolerant with a pretty leaf that has several different tones.  

One of the few bushes that was lucky enough to stay.  

The original owners had completely different gardening tastes and landscaping needs.  I'm not a fan of pines . . . . they were.  I can handle a nice Mugo pine . . but the rest of their pines were dug up and gone within the first year.

Hostas.  It's just a fun word to say.  They split like crazy, love one are of my yard and are a perfect mix with the asiatic lily and astilbe.   Like rhubarb, I love the way their leaves unfurl in spring . . . 

4 comments:

Disney Redhead said...

I love Sedum and Hostas. Just planted my first sedum (autumn fire) out front. Question...do you have to cut them back or anything in the winter?

Disney Redhead said...

Oh...and I LOVE rhubarb....to eat. :)

Elle said...

Disney Redhead - Re: emperor sedum - autumn joy or glass house -- just leave them in the fall/winter. They'll develop a woody stalk when dormant and that will just snap off at the base in spring --

Homestead said...

I love hostas. So do the deer.