Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Wednesday in Voicemail . . .

It's 9:44.  I'm coming down from a super busy day.  Here's my day in voicemail . . .

beep . . . are you driving?  call me . . . .
beep . . . it's me (business partner) . . . . i just sent you a forwarded voicemessage . . . it's urgent .  . .
beep . . . hey, hon, how'd the morning go . . .
beep . . . hi, honey, it's mom . . . I'm at band this morning . . . just didn't want you to worry . . . .
beep . . . hello, ma'am, this is Peter with the Department of Unemployement (insert, 'oh, shit' here)
beep . . . Ivan calling with ADT security . . .
beep . . . hey, Elle, it's Jen from Dr. G's office . . . call me about that claim .. .
beep . . . it's me . .  (business partner again) . . .
beep . . . It's Mike from the bank . . . we need to reschedule that meeting from Tuesday
beep . . . it's Juan . . . are we still on for Friday at 10:30? Call me.
beep . . . Elle, it's Mandi . . . is it 12:30 today or 1?  Call me . . or maybe just send a text . . .
beep . . . Peter again, thanks for the fast response . . . I have a few more questions . . can you call me again
beep . . . It's Rita, returning your call from yesterday . . .

And I looked up, and it was 11:07 am.  Good hell.  My phone was smoldering.

I was sans kids this morning and fully intended to bust out all of this month's invoicing along with a slew of reimbursements, update the banking, get the accounting sent off, return a few phone calls, work out, shower & be right on time to pick up Mimi and meet Mandi at 12:30.   Enter Peter from the Department of Unemployment.  

And here begins my rant.  Note:  names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Here's a good example of ONE of the things wrong with our country. 
Here's a good example of ONE of the things wrong with our system.

Last week, I received paperwork from the department of unemployment.  I had to back research and figure beginning and end dates on a person who used to work for the company.  Said person quit.  But said person filed for unemployment.  Long, awkward pause.  Can you even DO that?  When you live in a work-at-will state and can be hired or fired for anything with no notice . . . AND you resign from your position . . . . can you file for unemployment?  All firing humor aside, if you quit your job, can you still file for unemployment?  That makes no good sense to me.  I absolutely don't get it.  Anyway, turns out said person filed for unemployment and it's possible that we'll have to pay out a whopping sum that accrued during her (gasp!) 60 days of work with our company.  Seriously.  To add insult to injury, the sob story that supports the claim on her end doesn't align at all with the written side of things within the company.  Crap.  Ever have that gut-wrenching feeling that you need to tighten the ropes and baton down for a pissing match?

I didn't get half of my list done.  It was one of those mornings where one apple fell out of balance and the whole cart tipped. 

The-whole-bloody-rickety-cart-tipped-right-the-hell-over.

1 comment:

Homestead said...

Speaking as someone married to a seasonal employee.... NO. You can NOT file for unemployment if you quit. The end.