Thursday, March 31, 2011

So much for "Three's" and Is there no justice?

I"m bummed today . . .

Bummed about bad things happening to good people.  I know, I know.  So before anyone starts lighting up my inbox with backlash . . . .

Also bummed about MORE than three. 

My mamma always said bad things happen in sets of three.  Did yours? 

Last month, there was the terrible fatal car accident.  Our friend, E, was the first responder.  Then, my friend Annie's rollover accident.  And I was waiting for the third.   Then, there was another terrible car accident that was right next to the J's place.  It stopped my heart beating cold in my chest.    Then, same family, different day, the J's bus got hit by a car on the way home.  My heart's been stopping & restarting with too much frequency. 

Now, Jam . . . my dear friend from my high school days is standing vigil at the side of her father who is very ill.  I've been keeping up with his status through facebook and a site they are updating daily.  Today's journal entry begins, " Jim's condition deteriorated yesterday" and these words pepper the paragraph:  temp to rise to 102.8 . . . indicating a severe infection . . . rushed back to surgery . . .  hoping he is stong enough . . . back to surgery on Sunday . . . . living with hope . . . "   The journal ends with, "Keep the prayers coming, please. Jim is in God's hands."

You guessed it.  My heart is aching. 

And this, too.  This  is a local family.   This is tragic in so many ways.  I can't imagine.  They were taking a family trip.  All geared up and buckled in.  Excess speed wasn't a factor.  Alcohol wasn't a factor.  An oncoming truck just randomly crossed the center line & hit them head on.  Both cars burst into flames.  A family of four suddenly reduced by half in the blink of an eye. 

And with all the pain and suffering and tragedy around us, it seems so horribly out of place that silly little things go on.  Like Blue Bell ice cream coming to this town.  What's the big deal?   Facebook is absolutely lit up with point & shoot pictures of Blue Bell trucks.  There's special pricing at King Soopers this week.  And people I know are skating through life . .  overspending, overindulging, raking in blessing after blessing. 

Giant bummer.  I guess this is one of those times when, whether you are a Believer or not, whatever belief system to cling to . . . everyone has to ask, "why?"  and "how much more?"

1 comment:

3Js said...

The family lived here in our neighborhood. Youngest went to little Js school & other boy rode the Js bus & was in Middle Js homeroom. My heart had been aching too. I just keep praying for mom & son.