Friday, March 11, 2011

Retail Therapy

I love shopping, I really do. Sometimes I'm not sure if I love shopping more, or shopping for a bargain. It's a toss-up. I ran a few errands today and then treated myself to almost an hour and a half of very blissful grown-up only shopping time at Kohl's. (Me and my 30% off coupon.) And Famous Footwear.

I cruised the shoes. I meandered through the belts. I bought a new black belt. I have one, but I can't find it anywhere. I bought a metal jewelry type belt. I also have one of these, but my son was wearing it as a nerf-gun ammo sling and now I can't find that either. I bought a green short sleeved peasant shirt with some very bohemian embroidery on it. I like it. I bought a very ugly purple shirt. It's so ugly, I'm certain it will look great off the hanger. Sometimes you stumble onto these things. I bought a very simple black casual dress. I'm not much of a dress-girl, but I am liking them with leggings and boots. It's a tad outside my comfort zone, but it's working. For now.

I tried to buy a bra. Did I blog this? I must digress: I went to Victoria's Secret trying to buy a bra. I whisper-asked the size tripe 000 sales girl clad in all black to avoid gawking at my back fat and look at my tag . . . "can you just tell me what kind of bra this is? I want one just like it." She chuckled, then laughed, the spilled the most terrible news. Apparently all the words and sizes are worn off the tag. But, she's been a Vicky's girl forever and remembers that these stopped being available in 2007. "What??", I gaped!! Seems like I just bought this thing. I remember buying a pink one, a black one and a nude one all at the same time . . . . Really? I've been wearing the same bras since 2007. I deserve a new bra. She tried to do a fitting but I just could NOT bear the horror of showing more skin that my already-visible wrists to a near stranger who was giving my body-anxiety. I could barely look her in the eye. So I left feeling a little devastated and hoping my wires don't start poking me. Praying to the bra-Gods that these 3 year old boobie-hatches that have been in constant daily use will hold up until I find adequate replacements.

So . . . . I tried to buy a bra at Kohl's today. I got overwhelmed. And left. They're either huge . . . they could be helmets . . . or itty tiny little training bras with butterflies in the center. Or they're funky colors, polka dots and bold stripes. I'm not one for showing much undergarment, plus, apparently I wear them until they are truly DEAD. One black and one nude will do the trick. Where can I find that? Anyone?

I also tried to look at pants. But I just couldn't get the 'oomph' up to visit a dressing room. I despise dressing rooms. I think there is some sort of bad-judgement airborne chemical that is pumped into dressing rooms. Like a tear gas or a dental happy gas, but for the brief time that you're in there, the gas lulls you into thinking your ass looks good and that you're making good decisions. Then, you get it home and, since the gas isn't pumped into your bedroom, you come to your senses. It's all an evil conspiracy.

So, no pants, a couple of shirts and one simple dress. Oh, and a pair of black slouchy boots. Which I'm certain I will adore. I already do, actually.

And the super good news . . . this is the kind of shopping I really love. I had Kohl's cash. Expired but they'll still take it. And a 30% off coupon. I love it when the "you saved:" line is twice the amount spent. Love it. It was practically free shopping. Love that!!

7 comments:

Disney Redhead said...

I used to wear Victoria's Secret bras. Well, one type in particular. Then...they changed it...just slightly. But it was enough to make me stop liking it. (Plus, it was $44 and I'm cheap.)

So a couple years ago I went to Kohls one weekday afternoon when the store was mostly empty. I seriously tried on dozens of bras. It took forever. But I finally found one I really liked. Now I own a bunch of them. I try to only but new ones when they are on sale for around $25.

Elle said...

Really? What kind? Give me a jumping off point . . . I'm adrift is a see of c-cups. . . .

Elle said...

ha! no pun . . . SEA of c-cups . . .

Disney Redhead said...

Well...I'm a very small a-cup...so we may not like the same things. But the one I like is the brand Barely There. I like the Invisible Look Underwire bra.

Sorry...the link is long...
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/intimates/bras/shopbybrand/barelythere/PRD~158449/barely+there+Invisible+Look+Underwire+Bra++4104.jsp

I think it's comfortable except I do feel like I have to tighten the straps during the day because the thing kind of slides down.

And I was wrong about the price. When they are on sale...they are only $18. It's been a while since I've gotten a new one. But that's the price they are right now (on sale.)

Elle said...

Thank you!! My girls like Barely There Boyshorts . . . . I guess that makes it a trusted name in my household . . . I'll start there.

Conny2 said...

Hey girls ...
Jewelry anyone :) ---- Love you'all love shopping; maybe you'll like my blog? I chose the exact same theme layout Click on Conny2 and -- check it out! Hm ... maybe I make a sale then :)
Have a wonderful day, ladies
Conny

Homestead said...

I like VS for panties but they hoot with laughter at my hooters. Seriously. They don't have a tape that large.

For my birthday (in September) I elected to go bra shopping at Macy's.

First. I found a lovely bra lady. Then I stated my case. I'm looking for a foundation garment that centers the girls vertically between my elbows and shoulders and makes me look sleek (read: no back fat) and professional. I haven't worn anything but worn out maternity bras in YEARS and I have no idea what size I am. She whipped out a tape measure, got cozy with me and asked, "Are we looking for flirty or functional here?" Functional. Definitely functional. And nipple coverage is important to me. The headlghts are definitely on high beam in this household. Then she said something that almost killed me. It started with 38 and ended with DD. I thought she was stuttering. She told me a girl should have 2 bras (or more if you want) and rotate each day. They need to air out to retain their shape. They should be hand-washed after a few wearings... depending on "personal preference" and all. She recommended a bra called lilyette and, many months later, I'm still wearing one while the other hangs on the back of the bathroom door and I tossed all the random ones in the drawer. One is cream and one is tan. I can wear them under anything. I also got a nice champion brand jog bra.... heavy duty. Everthing was on sale and I had a $10 off coupon and I used my Macy's card for an extra % and it ended up being about the same as buying them at Target money-wise. I feel significantly less frumpy with my new bra system and I recommend it for everyone in my situation.

I am also shopping for new black pants.... so think about that..... I need at least a 34" inseam and a forgiving waistline. Size 10.