Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Preschool Plunge

We did it.  This week, we took the preschool plunge.  I am a big fan of preschool.  I believe in kids taking a few cautious steps out of the nest.  I believe that there comes a time when they really NEED to listen to another adult.   They're all on their own time table, but if an opportunity is lost, it can take years to make up. 

Well, just before her birthday, Mimi started talking about school.  "I'm ready sk-uhl," she'd say.  We would load up to take the Big kids to school and she'd cry when we pulled out the drive through.  I daresay I was boring her to death at home.  Tiny toddler minds that are growing and absorbing everything like a sponge can only take so much "produce section science". 

At any rate, the day after her birthday, she exclaimed, "I'm three now . . I can go to school."

 After lots of investigation and visiting a few programs, I fell back on Old Faithful.  This preschool has done me right in excellent kindergarten prep for two of my kids.   And . . . let's face it, you get what you pay for.  Preschool is like batteries.  Buy Duracell and you get a great battery.  Skimp on preschool and you get an angry grandma putting in her volunteer hours with your tender young mind.  Well, that and a paper cross to hang on your fridge.

And because I'm committed to fairness . . . here's the First Day of Preschool Picture . . . just like the rest of my crew . . .


January 10, 2011 . . . Mimi's first day of preschool.



No comments: